Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Sanj

Oh, where to begin with Sandra....? I'd better start somewhere, it's taken me far too long to say thank you to her.

Sandra 'I'd rather' Jack (or 'White' to use her correct middle name, but I can't resist thinking of the Reynolds Girls when I say it in my head. Kind of like when Gav used to call the ex-Coventry City and Celtic goalkeeper "Magnus 'Dubnobasswithmy' Hedman". But I digress) was one of the disco-house posse of 2001.

In fact, she is the queen of the disco house (an oft-talked about living arrangement that sadly never came to frutition), as it was she who introduced me to Helen MacQ, Heather, Paul et al.

I first met her late in 1999, when I was out with my fellow librarian Katie and we went for a pint in the Cul de Sac. Her friend Sandra was back for Christmas from the wilds of Cork where for some unknown reason she had decided to go and study for a bit. Perhaps she had tired of understanding what people said.

Thankfully it was not long before she returned to the dear green place, and our friendship could begin in earnest. She is part of some of my dearest held memories of my final couple of years in Glasgow, especially the night that just the two of us went to the Renfrew Ferry for Slam vs Subculture. It's one of the best nights clubbing of my life, just full of smiling and dancing like fannies, with two of the greatest tunes at the time - Life Times by Slam and Right on Right On by Silicone Soul - being played in quick succession, whilst we jumped about, calling Helen in Brighton so she didn't miss out. And everyone wanted to talk to us as well, we were like King and Queen of the dancefloor. Anyway, I sound like an old washed up clubber - you get the idea.

I love Sandra for her amazing friendship, her self-deprecating wit that can genuinely make me crack up laughing with just one comment, her general loveliness and her 'golden' beauty. She's the star of one of my favourite ever pictures, and one of the main reasons I lament this whole "follow your dream" culture we live in that sees the people we like the most generally end up hundreds of miles apart from each other. Mind you, had I never moved to Glasgow, I would never have met her so them's the breaks I guess.

I'll stop rambling now, suffice to say, Sandra - thank you. I hope you're still loving York/Leeds and all is good with the boyf, and get in touch soon - a year and a half is far too long to go without catching up properly.

Tx

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:29 pm

    i never said that - ever

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yes you did. and it was genius. don't sell yourself short.

    ReplyDelete