Saturday, October 07, 2006

and now.....

......the end is near my friends, my dear readers, my loyal fans.

In 14.25 hours time, I shall be lined up in a gaggle of excited and fitter-than-me people, jostling for position on the starting line, quite possibly with a small trickle of effluence working its way through the mesh pant things inside my shorts.

How has this day come so quickly? Seems like no time at all that I got Craig's email asking for sponsorship and decided "I could do that". And blow me if that's not what's happening.

I'm continuing to be overwhelmed by the support people are giving me, even this close to the run. Another few donations, from Penny and Chris Heggie, has taken me to within £9.99 of the magical £500 that will see my employer having to stump up the same amount for Fairbridge. Thank you guys, and thank you to everyone.

I've spent the day fielding texts of good luck and phone calls trying to arrange our rendezvous tomorrow. My sister is even planning on coming the whole way from Gloucestershire with sprogs in tow to watch me! No pressure then.

I think she summed up how crazy the whole thing is, by comparing what I'm doing with some other friend of hers who has been accepted onto a "round the world" rowing team! Come on guys, bit of perspective. I know I am perceived as a chain-smoking, ready meal eating, alcoholic bastard, but is me doing this run really equivalent to rowing a third of the way round the world?! Jesus, what impression have I been giving people? Any wonder I'm single. It's worth remembering there are people who have done absolutely no training for this run who will turn up tomorrow and run 10 minutes faster than me, with no fuss whatsoever.

That's not to say I'm not grateful for everyone's encouragement - it's something that will stay with me for a long long time to come. I have a lot of wonderful friends and that is the main thing that has hit home in the last few months.

So thanks - I'll try and do you proud. Now get out of here before I get something in my eye....

No comments:

Post a Comment