Thursday, January 29, 2009

Warm n fuzzy

I helped my first little old lady last night. Our lift is out of action at the moment, and on the way back from playing football (2nd week running - get me!) one of my neighbours from the floor below was on the landing. She asked if she could ask me a "mad question", and handed me her shopping list and purse, almost in tears as she explained she had run out of provisions and couldn't get up and down the stairs.

Of course I said I'd get them (raised well by me maw n all), and hobbled off to the corner shop with the very trusting lady's purse in my pocket. She was so grateful for the tiny tiny piece of help I'd given to her, she tried to make me "keep the change" - given that she had given me a £20 note to buy a litre of milk, some tea bags and 20 Mayfair lights, it took all my powers of persuasion to avoid leaving her with £13 for nothing in my pocket. I didn't think it was the best time to point out the possible link between the fags and the lack of stair climbing prowess.

I highly recommend doing a good turn for someone - I'm still feeling happy to have helped even now.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:14 am

    Gold star big lad :)

    We need more community spirit, especially in cities and old people need looked out for especially in the winter. Proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks dude. It has made me much more aware of people needing assistance now (like the woman I helped out the door with her buggy this morning). I could get used to being "nice".

    ReplyDelete