Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Right on

I've been playing about with widgets again - filthy habit, I really should stop before I go blind....

On the left hand side you may notice that there is now an iLike playlist, which seemed like the coolest thing in the world, except for the fact it only plays a few seconds of each song. Quite what the point is I'm not sure.

I stopped having any semblance of "cool" sometime around 2002, and as such my taste in and knowledge of recent music is embarrassing and sparse to say the least. So, as befits a man of my experience, I made an old school list which transported me back to the heady days in the Weedge at the turn of the century. I thought I might indulge myself a little and stick a few tracks in their entirety on the blog - starting with Silicone Soul's masterpiece, "Right on Right on". The video below is what you might call "minimalist" - in that it is just a photo of the record for 8 minutes - but it was the only "proper" version of the track I could find. The 'original' was called Right on 4 tha darkness - the slightly beefed up remix is what appears below and may or may not have been on a Glasgow Underground compilation when I heard it first. Or was it a Slam CD?

The song was part of my soundtrack to the summer 0f 2001 - a very happy time in my life indeed. My happiest memory of it is dancing with my friend Sanj, arms aloft, on the Renfrew Ferry, having called up my other friend Helen to play it to her down the phone in the hope she might feel like she was with us just a little bit.

Crank it up.


No comments:

Post a Comment