Thursday, May 19, 2011

You try to be clever, and look what happens

So, roughly 24 hours ago I was all chuffed, having forked out the princely sum of approximately £7.50 for the ownership of seethattattierun.com. It felt like I had my own website. The rush of excitement proved too much. What if someone else called Tattie Chomper decided tonight was the night to register tattiechomper.com? At $10 for the privilege, it was a chance I couldn't afford to take.

So I dived back in to Blogger, went through the process again and emerged, triumphant, from the other side metaphorically grasping tattiechomper.com in my sweaty little palm. Result! If I ever need two embarrassing-sounding website addresses to infect the internet with my ponderings, I'm sorted!

Except. Well, except when I bought the second web address, Blogger kind of decided that it will be the one associated with the blog. I say 'Blogger decided' - I may have accidentally told it to do it. So in the future, if you try to go to the current see-that-tattie-run.blogspot.com address (God, that's a long and convoluted name to write), you'll be automatically redirected to tattiechomper.com.

No biggie, I guess, given it's also the name I use on Flickr, Twitter and a variety of other websites. But what has become of seethattattierun.com, I hear you cry? Well, at the moment it appears it has done the equivalent of Woody Allen's mother in New York Stories, and disappeared into the ether. It's floating about inside the internet somewhere, wondering what's going on.

I still own the domain, and can log into the dashboard. But when I key the address into my browser, I get a 'not found' message (the process of setting up the new address can take a couple of days, but tattiechomper.com is working fine already). When I try to change the target address of the blog back to seethattattierun.com, I get a message saying that "another blog is already registered to this address". I know! This one! I dunno what's going on. Looks like I've potentially banjaxed it and lost a couple of quid into the bargain. There are probably ways and means of recovering it, but Google's help pages are far from straightforward on that front and to be honest, I don't care enough to learn about what's going on. So, err, welcome to tattiechomper.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment