Monday, November 06, 2006

The Ian Paisley of South London?

I got a text off Lucy the other day, saying that she had seen Christian Guru Murphy at Herne Hill train station.

The name rang a bell, but I had not heard of this mystical religious Irishman. I had visions of a cross-legged man dressed in green, long wispy beard wafting in the breeze, giving out wisdom such as "where's me lucky charms?" and "sure it's only blarney, so it is" to his devoted followers..... Perhaps James Nesbitt had started a Kabbalah / Scientology-style sect in the leafy avenues of Dulwich village, his life devoid of meaning and spirituality after selling his soul and artistic integrity to the Yellow Pages for the last 5 years?

Imagine my disappointment when I read the name out loud to my flatmate Helen, and it all clicked into place. Not the saviour of lost immigrant souls, confusing sports, the "black stuff" and sausage & mash at all, but the chain-smoking co-presenter of Channel Four news.

No comments:

Post a Comment