Tuesday, January 09, 2007

O Moj Boze!

I'm going to Poland!!!

Yes, a new year, a new Tattie. I met my girlfriend on Sunday and she mentioned that next time she goes home, I should go too. I assumed she meant "next next time", as opposed to next week when she's heading back for 12 days. But no, she actually meant now.

Old Tony briefly tried to stick his oar in with cries of "but that's far too soon! what about work?! you have to save for things like that!", but New Tony was having none of it. I cleared it with work today, decided that the Ipod (and new suit for work) can wait, and invested my mum's christmas present in a flight to Gdansk next Saturday.

Can't wait! Ok, so I've only been going out with Justyna for a couple of months, and now I have to meet her parents. But I can't speak any Polish! So even I won't be able to say the wrong thing! In fact, I could theoretically spend the whole of dinner making inappropriate comments about their daughter, and they wouldn't know! Of course - and let me make this crystal clear - I would never do such a thing........ I'll just sit there, nodding and smiling like the deaf mute idiot I have become.

The only thing that could prove an issue is the alleged Polish tendency to drink vodka with their meals. I don't know if this is the case, but clouding my excitement is the possibility that some kind of "spud-from-trainspotting" social faux pas may await me....

But for now, I am just plain excited. I love going to new countries, probably because I've not been to that many, and to be there with J is even better (of course, the fact she'll essentially have to do absolutely everything for me is by the by.... I'll at least try and learn how to say "two beers please"). Gdansk looks beautiful too.

It's gonna be fab - a perfect way to start what I think has the potential to be a very good year.

No comments:

Post a Comment