Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Bought a Polish phrasebook today

I'm f***ed.

Thought I could pick up at least a couple of words over the next few days. Of course I can!

Random sample of the "guide to pronunciation":

"The Polish consonants b, d, g, w and z are generally pronounced like the English b, d, g, v and z (me: "wow, that's easy to remember!"), but at the end of a word or when preceding certain letters, the pronunciation changes to: p, t, k, f and s respectively"

Me: so there's absolutely no rhyme or reason to it whatsoever.

They don't even tell you which letters cause the change! I'm shafted.

One phrase I have to learn:

nie mowie po polsku

(n-yeh moov-yeh po polskoo)

I don't speak Polish.

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:53 pm

    Oh well, just cheer yourself up by thinking about all that lovely food you'll be eating

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_cuisine

    Cold soup, tripe, sauerkraut - don't forget your Frosties...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apparently the focus is going to be on vodka. Me and her dad, with the common language of complete obliteration. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:34 am

    Ah, the universal language of tatties... By the way I think I will be in London towards the end of February, probably about the 26th or so for a couple of nights

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice one mate!!! you need somewhere to kip? I imagine you're probably staying in Claridges or the Savoy to be close to your prey... You never know though, maybe another Mayfair curry house will catch fire while you're here and you'll get another scoop....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous1:59 am

    Think I'm sorted, but thanks for the offer. It's a personal trip you cheeky bastard. And that was one fuck of a story - Small fire in building harms no-one. You've got a lot to learn column boy, let me tell you... Was that Mayfair? I thought it was Covent Garden. Maybe I was drunker than I remember. That'd make a change. I'll email you with all the details....

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's shortsightedness like that displayed by the news desk that evening that has the Daily Mirror in trouble....

    Look forward to seeing you. PS The Erbillurs send their love.

    ReplyDelete