Wednesday, April 29, 2009

The loneliness of the long distance applicant

Applied for a place on the London Marathon next year. Figured I'd give myself 362 days to prepare. I'll be entered into the ballot along with the million other applicants and find out in October whether I've been successful. Either this year's race captured people's imaginations or we've got to "that age" - there's a hell of a lot of people saying they're up for it next April.

I have a summer to look forward to as a prospective marathon runner, without having to go to any of the actual effort of training. And, having opted to donate my entrance fee to charity in the event I don't get chosen, I have the added consolation of feelings of self-righteousness and a shiny red jacket to look forward to, should the race ticket not pan out. Win win really.

What better way to slip effortlessly into the final week of my nicotine patches? Unbelievably, barring any unseemly bank holiday lapses, I'm actually going to make it to the end of the 10 week course. As of Friday 8th May I will be patch and nicotine free for the first time since 1998. Never thought that would happen way back in February - might even be worth a fag to celebrate.

No comments:

Post a Comment