Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Is there anything better than to be a bloke browsing for a new gadget? My upcoming ascent into adulthood via the medium of car ownership has opened up the amazing world of Sat Navs to my blinking, wide eyes. Putting my fears that these things are just another step towards a 'Back to the Future 2'-style existence (or more precisely, a "Johnny Cab from 'Total Recall'" world of self-driving cars), they are easily the coolest things I've seen in ages.

I've just got a little over-excited on Ebay and bid £60 for a broken Garmin - thankfully I was saved in the very last second by someone who must have put in one of those "guaranteed winning" bids. What started as a hopeful punt degenerated into my staring at the screen through my fingers, as the refresh button failed to change the notice stating "it's almost over and you're still the highest bidder!". All of a sudden, I realised that I don't have the money to buy a Sat Nav until next week, i don't have the first clue over how much I should be paying or what model to go for, I haven't spent nearly enough time salivating over the possibilities yet, and besides - the lack of a functioning on/off button might prove a little inconvenient.

But God, it made me feel alive....

Definitely need to drink less and get out more.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:20 pm

    Are you looking for a Sat Nav garmin for driving, or one of the running ones? If it's running, I have a Garmin Forerunner 305 which I'd recommend. There's a more up to date version, but the 305 does pretty much everything it needs to. Plus you can upload your runs onto the computer and be a total geek by looking at the pretty graphs and stuff. I love mine.
    You're going to tell me you're talking about an actual Sat Nav now, aren't you?
    - Lisa W

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, I'm after an actual Sat Nav. I would have thought the incessant car chat might have given it away.

    ReplyDelete