Monday, March 02, 2009

First anniversary

Yes, I am celebrating. This time, a whole week ago, I was smoking the last cigarette in the pack. Today, I sit, proud and glowing with health and vitality, after 7 days without a fag. It's not been too awful so far, except for craving a smoke at every point of every day when I would normally been having one. Goddamn my religious devotion to routine.

I had quite a heavy weekend as it happened, and came through it unscathed - from a smoking point of view anyway. Unfortunately, it would appear that I was attributing rather more of my regular hangovers to tar than was entirely accurate. After overdoing it watching the rugby on Saturday and easing my pain with a few hairs of the dog yesterday, my entire throat felt like I'd been licking an ashtray today. I'm the first to admit that this doesn't sound completely beyond the realms of possibility - some kind of bizarre sleep-licking - but I'm pretty confident I haven't been stealing out in the middle of the night to snuffle around bins like some kind of feral crack addict.

I can only hope that my body has yet to expel the nastiness from my lungs, which is causing me to still feel like I have a 20 a day habit. I'm going to stick with it - bought week 2 of patches this afternoon - in the hope that things improve. I don't like the thought of having to go through the rest of my life as the kind of person that couldn't do something due a lack of willpower. Not very Alpha male, is it?

No comments:

Post a Comment