Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Belfast looks beautiful on the ITV 10 o'clock news

perhaps not right to focus on that, but it does in a way show how far things have come that the area around the City Hall can provide such a stunning backdrop to the news report.

Equally impressive is the rhetoric coming from all sides and all parties - it's hard to believe that these are the same politicians who used to make me squirm with embarrassment when they were on TV. Who earned their salaries for doing nothing for several years because they couldn't even agree on an agenda for the first meeting of the Ni Assembly when they were elected. Gone are the days of Bob McCartney shouting verbal abuse across the street at an opponent whilst out campaigning, or the fist-gnawing intransigence of both sides when it came to sharing a meeting room or stage with each other.

The biggest indication that we might not go back to where we came from is from the professional, controlled, moderate comments coming from Peter Robinson and Martin McGuinness on the steps of Hillsborough today. I only hope that they can continue down the road we finally made it to without any deluded psychos getting in the way.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:57 pm

    Just wanted to say that I totally agree with everything you've written over the last few days. Well said.

    It's all the more shocking when I realise how little it used to affect me, how we'd become numb to it all.

    People are very much not numb to it now - no way do we want to go back.

    I think that's the positive thing to bear in mind - how 99.99% of Northern Irish people are united in 'not wanting to go back'ness.

    Thanks for the posts - you spoke for me too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. think it's safe to say that any attempt at being coherent in what I was writing was lost in the general rantiness of the whole thing. If ever I've wanted to lock myself in a room with terrorists and shake them and scream in their face about the utter utter pathetic stupidity of their tactics it's now. I just don't get it. What possible outcome can they be thinking of? Rediscover the spirit of 1916 where a massive swing in public opinion takes place? Last time I checked, the best way to win people over to your side of the argument isn't by shooting them.

    Sorry, off on one again. Glad you agreed with my thinking. Hope things aren't too weird in the motherland at the moment. Catch up soon and take care......

    ReplyDelete