Monday, March 16, 2009

Glitz and Glamour

J's working in Hampstead at the moment, and happened across Noel Gallagher on her lunch break today, having a drink in a pub beer garden. This follows up her serving Mike Skinner a pint and IDing youthful Dundonians 'The View' when she worked in the pub.

So unfair - I work in Islington which is resolutely celeb-free, but even when I plied my trade in the 'edgy and vibrant' East End and ever-fashionable West End I never saw anyone of note. Well, I say never - my list of famous faces is as follows, over the 6 years I've lived in this fine city:

Bez from the Happy Mondays: stumbling past a bar I was in, in Hoxton Square.
Chris Eubank: getting a haircut in Brixton.
Sven Goran Eriksson: on the Strand.
Gloria Hunniford: also on the Strand, obviously a hotbed of excitement.
Tracy Emin: outside a pub in Spitalfields.

Pretty damn impressive, eh? Not even averaging one a year. There have been other people I've recognised without having previously met them, such as 'City Boy' - a former clandestine banker who wrote an Insider column for a local free newspaper, before believing he was worthy of fame and quitting his job. Will leave it up to you to decide how that one panned out. His name's Geraint something-or-other. I almost went up to him and told him what an arse I thought he was. But my apathy was such that I couldn't even be bothered.

I got more celebs per square mile when I lived at home, and saw local football commentating stalwart and bon vivuer Jackie Fullerton on a regular basis.

This isn't how it was supposed to be.....

No comments:

Post a Comment