Tuesday, June 03, 2008

See that Goudie Run!

Congratulations to my mate Helen, who completed her first 10K yesterday in a highly respectable 66 mins. Helen, I salute you and you have managed to inspire and terrify me in equal measure.

It's given me hope, as apparently Helen achieved it through 2 training sessions a week for 6 weeks - which, given we still have four and a half until the British 10K on 6 July - should mean I'll be alright. Not 100% sure about J, who finally (huzzah!) got round to getting her trainers on Sunday and went for her first run this morning, but we figure that by taking Helen's training schedule and adapting it in the style of my approach to Home Economics at school (bake at 150 degrees for 25 minutes? I've not enough time, I'll just do it at 300 degrees for 12 and a half minutes - same difference. Only subject I've ever failed. Apart from "technology" (i.e. metalwork) the same year. And Management Studies at University. Twice. Ironic I now produce Management Information for a major bank for a living), she'll be able to do it - so it's 3 sessions a week for her from now on!

My fears of not finishing have been somewhat allayed by the two most recent outings I've had - the first, last Thursday, was good in that I did my usual route without feeling like death by the end; then yesterday I extended it by a significant amount and as a result managed to run 5K without too much pain.

I think we might just be ok.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous1:31 pm

    Wheeeeeee! Thanks :-)

    Never knew you failed Home Economics lol

    ReplyDelete