Monday, March 10, 2008

I think the Tattie gutties might be back out again

I seem to have inadvertently signed up for another 10K - about time some might say, given the fact that the run that inspired this little wedge of the web is now 18 months in the past.

J is running/walking in a charity 10K round Hyde Park in the summer as part of her company's team - a noble endeavour and one that I intended to fully support her in. However, my plans to only be a spectator were potentially nobbled by a conversation down the pub where I discovered that my friend Imogen is also doing it, as is my erstwhile non-training partner and fellow Run Londoner, Craig. An ill-advised bit of cheek later, and I find myself at the centre of a bet which will, in all probability, end up stinging me for £50. Whilst suggesting I run in the race alongside Craig again, I took the opportunity to gloat over my 15 minute winning margin last time out. Cue a brief beer- and testosterone-fuelled debate over whether the gap would be more or less this time out, and a wager was formed. I should, of course, know that Craig does not generally enter into pub bets he doesn't have at least a 75% chance of winning.

So, if the gap is less than 15 minutes, I owe Craig a tenner for every minute inside the 15. If it's more than 15 minutes, he owes me a tenner for every minute past the 15.

I managed to save a bit of dignity and cash by setting a £50 limit either way and insisting that the winnings are donated to the charity. Let the tattie mashing commence.

No comments:

Post a Comment