Sunday, February 03, 2008

See that Tattie Ride!

Finally got my bike yesterday - all shiny and new and already splattered in mud. I had to ride it back from the shop to my house - only about 5km but a bit of a mission, given my lack of riding experience in the last two decades.

God knows what the bus drivers etc thought as they went past me as I wobbled my way out of the car park onto the main road. I assumed that, even if I was out of shape, I would at least still be able to ride the thing. As it was, I couldn't keep it in a straight line - never a good idea with the Number 3 bearing down on you. Thankfully I made it to the park and found my bike legs, even attempting a bit of off road (hence the mud). I say off road - I actually just went onto the grass to go past a few people, not remembering the recent heavy rain, and found myself trying to ride through a bog. Luckily I didn't fall off and end up covered in shit from head to toe.

I also managed my first run in with a car on the way back, as I went to pull out round a parked car and the traffic behind me didn't stop. I slammed ont he brakes, he did as well, then i wobbled a bit before moving off again. Would have been quite exciting but for the fact we were pretty much stopped at traffic lights at the time. As it was I just looked like a guy who couldn't ride in a shiny and unflattering helmet.

When I got off the bike outside my house, my legs buckled beneath me, and I fell over trying to walk down the two steps from our hall to our living room - lunging forward and grabbing hold of the armchair to stop myself looking like Tom Cruise in Born on the Fourth of July. I was a bit shocked at just how emaciated my leg muscles obviously were - until Scot pointed out I had ridden the whole way back in the hardest gear. Guess that actually means I'm hard as nails....

No comments:

Post a Comment