Monday, February 18, 2008

Good taste

Having become an amateur journalist (no offence Gav) after getting two rambling anecdotes published in a free local newspaper, I am now referring to myself (at least in my head) as "a photographer". Back in my younger days, when I still thought I was going to become some sort of cool creative arty type rather than festering away in middle management for the rest of my life, I flirted with the notion of trying to leanr how to take photographs properly. You know, thus removing any notion of photography as "art" and instead treating it like it was some kind of skilled trade that I could do an apprenticeship in.

No matter, however, because thanks to the power of the internet, I am now just that. Kind of. I was looking at my Flickr account the other day and found an email that I'd been sent before Christmas from a company called Schmap. One of my photos had been shortlisted for their "Belfast Travel Guide" and they wanted my permission to consider it. All very exciting, even if it was a very boring shot of a waterfall and it's not exactly National Geographic.

Unfortunately the deadline for authorising it was the 16th of December, so I narrowly missed the boat on it getting used in the latest edition, but apparently they get updated all the time, so you never know.

My camera died back in July, and I'd sort of resigned myself to not getting another one - just using a combination of J's camera and my mobile phone to cover any notable events. But after the encouragement that someone liked one of my photos, I'm reconsidering.

Pathetic how much I react to the slightest compliment, isn't it?

(oh, and PS, whatever you do, don't search for Glenariff waterfall pictures on the rest of Flickr....)

No comments:

Post a Comment